Upgrade from 1.2 to 2.2

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 00:01:16 UTC 2017

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI writes in reesponse to Gandalf Corvotempesta post:

>> I've already read that, and as wrote previously, everything broke down.
>> dovecont -n wasn't able to convert the configuration file and dovecot
>> wasn't started properly.
>> The only way to fix was to downgrade.
>>
>> As this is a production server, I would like to avoid this kind of issue.....
>
> Set up a server replicating exactly the configuration you have at
> present. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, a virtual machine is
> enough. Actually, a virtual machine is a great tool if you can make
> snapshots and then rollback to known states if any attempt at a change
> fails.

If you absolutely can't test on a VM or another test host, you can run
the new version along side your current version in another installation
directory.  Configure your new installation to run on alternate ports.
You can work off copies of mail data as well if you really want to
isolate your test.

Then you can gradually phase in your new version by swapping alternate
port/data with production port/data.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>