Poolmon: Problem with index-locking

Tom Sommer mail at tomsommer.dk
Wed Jan 11 07:01:54 UTC 2017

On 2017-01-10 22:34, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2017, at 20.38, Tom Sommer <mail at tomsommer.dk> wrote:
>>
>> I have Poolmon (https://github.com/brandond/poolmon) set up. When it
>> does all the checks concurrently, obviously there are locking issues
>> on each mailserver it tests:
>>
>> "Warning: Locking transaction log file
>> xxxx/indexes/dovecot.list.index.log took 60 seconds (syncing)"
>>
>> It's just an empty mailbox.
>>
>> Is there any way to do a login test, without locking the index files?
>> Hence avoiding these warnings/errors?
>
> Are they accessing the same mail account on all the backend servers?

Yes.

> I guess that could be troublesome, although I don't know why it would
> still take 60 seconds.

Well if all backends try to log in at the same time, it will naturally
cause NFS locking issues? As they are all fighting for a lock.
Plus, my NFS box is having a hard time atm. :)

> Anyway better would be if it used a
> backend-specific mail user, but I'm not sure if poolmon supports that
> now.

I suppose, just feels like a 'wrong' test-case. Would be better if
poolmon could do send some kind of 'check' signal to doveadm on the
backend to do a test? Or if you could perform a login which did not.

Anyway, my log is flooded with these warnings atm.