Reappearing emails

Gilles Chauvin gilles.chauvin at univ-rouen.fr
Tue Jan 17 16:26:14 UTC 2017

On 17/01/2017 16:15, Ron Cleven wrote:
> The dovecot version (2.2.10) we were running had a timing window problem
> in the context of replication (we use maildir on CentOS 7). After doing
> elaborate tests to isolate the problem, we wound up upgrading to
> 2.2.23.  That fixed it, and that version has been very reliable.

Hi,

We are running Dovecot v2.2.27 here on CentOS 7 (replication and sdbox
on both sides) and I have at least one user that reported me a similar
issue. This seems to happen randomly.

Looking at the mail logs, it looks like the mail is reappearing from
nowhere although the mail was copied from INBOX to another mailbox and
was expunged by her MUA (Thunderbird) right after. She is not using
SIEVE filtering and prefer having local filters. Each time this issue
pops in, her MUA is running.

The pattern is the following:
  1) lmtp delivers a new mail to her INBOX
  2) Thunderbird, almost instantly, copies and expunges this mail
  3) The email is reappearing (with a new UID) in her INBOX
  4) GOTO 2 and repeat several times (she received one mail duplicated 6
times today)

Looks like a bug but I wasn't able to reproduce it by myself.

Regards,
Gilles