Doveadm backup doesn't interpret placeholders

Aki Tuomi aki.tuomi at dovecot.fi
Mon Jan 23 09:37:49 UTC 2017

On 23.01.2017 11:35, James Pharaoh wrote:
> On 23/01/17 09:53, Aki Tuomi wrote:
>>
>> On 19.01.2017 10:49, James Pharaoh wrote:
>>>
>>> Dovecot version: 2.2.27
>>>
>>> The logical answer seems to be to provide the backup location when
>>> performing the local copy for a snapshot, so I run:
>>>
>>> doveadm backup -A mdbox:/var/mail/mailboxes-backup/%d/accounts/%u
>>
>> Try doveadm -o mail_home=/var/mail/mailboxes-backup/%d/accounts/%u
>> backup -A mdbox:~/
>
> This won't work, surely, because I use a similar pattern for the
> source, basically without the "-backup" bit.
>
> If you can confirm this is not supported I'm happy to create a patch
> for it myself, it doesn't seem like it will be very difficult.
>
> James

Oh, then it won't work. The reason this interpolation does not occur is
that we consider % a valid path name. We have been considering how to
solve this, and possibly it requires some config flag to permit
interpolation in mailbox location when given from command line.

A patch is welcome, of course, but please keep this is mind. =)

Aki