Moving to new password scheme

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Wed Jan 25 11:47:11 UTC 2017

> On Jan 25, 2017, at 2:46 AM, Steffen Kaiser <skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jan 2017, @lbutlr wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> you can convert password scheme during the login:
>>>
>>> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/ConvertPasswordSchemes
>>
>> Thanks, I started to look into that and got stopped no the first step
>>
>>> userdb {
>>>  driver = prefetch
>>> }
>>
>> If I set that and reload dovecot users cannot login.
>>
>> dovecot: auth: Fatal: userdb prefetch: No args are supported: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
>> dovecot: master: Error: service(auth): command startup failed, throttling for 8 secs
>> dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected: Auth process broken (disconnected before auth was ready, waited 4 secs): user=<>,
>
> I don't see no prefetch in your config.

No, when I changed userdb { driver = passwd } to prefetch everything failed, so I changed it back immediately so people could login. That was the firs step on the page and I couldn’t get past it.

> The error may indicate that you replaced driver = sql by driver = prefetch, which is wrong.

driver = sql is in the imap/sql section. The one I tried changing was the bare userdb declaration the just said driver - passwd.

I guess I need to ADD another userdb declaration for the prefetch.

Does the other int he file matter? I have local users stuff first and then the sql stuff later, but I’m not sure if that matters.

> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/UserDatabase/Prefetch
>
> The idea described on the Wiki page is:
>
> During login, most often the same data is collected from the passdb as later from the userdb, therefore you can collect *all* information you would retrieve from userdb { } within passdb queries (that's why the home as userdb_home, \
> uid as userdb_uid, gid as userdb_gid, '%w' as userdb_plain_pass entries; the prefix userdb_ indicates that data) and store it for later use by the prefetch database.
>
> That's why the prefetch userdb has to preceed the other ones, because if the passdb query filled in the values, the later userdb entries are ignored.

So Place it first (or at least before all the sql stuff)?

> You've noticed the '%w' as userdb_plain_pass ? That stores the plain password (if any) to the virtual prefetch userdb entry as field plain_pass.

OK.

> Now, you are using two passdb's. the PAM passdb won't support this method, I guess.

No, I’m not expecting it to. the local users are mostly my admin accounts and I can just change the passwords on those manually without an issue.

I’ll keep at it. Thanks.

--
Apple broke AppleScripting signatures in Mail.app, so no random signatures.