Any way to limit number of active IMAP/POP3 sessions from a single user / per user?

Alexey Asemov (Alex/AT) lists at alex-at.ru
Mon Jul 3 19:34:26 EEST 2017

I can confirm setting mail_max_userip_connections from database in
userdb query *does not* work at all. User can still open multiple
connection above the limit, seems like it has no effect. I thoroughly
checked DB response and it contains proper field name/value.

I am using dovecot 2.2.31.

Also, I have mail_max_userip_connections set globally in the dovecot
configuration file and wonder if this can interfere, but at least some
other settings do not and so I doubt it's the cause.

So for now I have to go with writing a policy server for that it seems :)

I assume it does not work because user/IP limit is probably checked
before parsing DB parameters.
Maybe dovecot code can be adjusted somehow so it allows setting
mail_max_userip_connections from userdb before it's processed?