Dovecot user lookup from sendmail

Garry Glendown garry at glendown.de
Tue Jul 4 17:41:42 EEST 2017

Hi *

after trying everything I could think of and find on the web, I'm
totally stumped ... maybe someone give me some hints on what I'm doing
wrong, or where to look ...

I have an ancient customer box with sendmail & cyrus imap, with imap
using an LDAP database of users (no locally configured users), all of
which is working fine.

This machine needs to be replaced by a new installation, which -
regrettably - is supposed to use SLES 12. Which does not have any Cyrus
IMAP packages available anymore, so I had to use the Dovecot imap
instead. I've already got the LDAP auth working, as well as the imap
storage of mails (used imapsync to copy all of the old mailboxes to the
new machine), everything fine so far.

Anyway, I'm running into problems getting sendmail to check whether a
recipient actually exists. Any local user is correctly identified, but
all virtual users are constantly rejected. I tried finding anything on
how sendmail actually does the user check ... on the cyrus install, all
I had to do is

define(`confLOCAL_MAILER',`cyrusv2')dnl
define(`CYRUSV2_MAILER_ARGS',`FILE /var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp')dnl
MAILER(cyrusv2)dnl

and both user checks and local delivery worked. What's the appropriate
config entry in the .mc for dovecot?

I tried settings like:

FEATURE(`local_lmtp',`[IPC]',`FILE /var/run/dovecot/lmtp')dnl

and used the dovecot.m4 file together with

MAILER(`dovecot')dnl

but couldn't see anything happening - or improve.

Hints and help greatly appreciated!

-garry

--
PGP Fingerprint: A79F A33F 5B13 BEB7 A51D 274F F99C 3AE2 4BCB 7015