Dovecot user lookup from sendmail

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 03:17:32 EEST 2017

Garry Glendown <garry at glendown.de> writes:

> Anyway, I'm running into problems getting sendmail to check whether a
> recipient actually exists. Any local user is correctly identified, but
> all virtual users are constantly rejected. I tried finding anything on
> how sendmail actually does the user check ... on the cyrus install, all
> I had to do is
>
> define(`confLOCAL_MAILER',`cyrusv2')dnl
> define(`CYRUSV2_MAILER_ARGS',`FILE /var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp')dnl
> MAILER(cyrusv2)dnl

It's unclear what you mean when you say "problems getting sendmail to check
whether a recipient actually exists".  Are you saying

 	1) During SMTP delivery, sendmail complains a user is unknown?

 		RCPT TO:<user at domain>
 		550 5.1.1 <user at domain>... User unknown

 	In this case, it has nothing to do with dovecot.  You'll
 	have to check your sendmail configs on user map lookups.

 	2) The LMTP can't deliver to a user's INBOX?  If this is what
 	you're complaining about, you ought to supply

 		i) log entries demonstrating the problem
 		ii) a hint of your configuration i.e. doveconf -n

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>