SQLite user database

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 23:46:01 EEST 2017

Levente Kovacs writes:

> I continuously get user authentication errors. I suspect that the problem is
> with a password hashing. I used
>
> # doveadm pw -s SHA512-CRYPT
> Enter new password:
> Retype new password:
> {SHA512-CRYPT}$6$1cCNWIMCTpuqmexO$cCq7nDEga1xza3967nZ.BFZaGWNoYwjnNfSCvZE/jGzYAY1hLWE1iHR1KYaO.mvVE4WVdDSrvPNtfwAUn/yk3/

Looks OK.

> I have this at the database:
>
> sqlite> SELECT * from users;
> lev|logonex.eu|$6$1cCNWIMCTpuqmexO$cCq7nDEga1xza3967nZ.BFZaGWNoYwjnNfSCvZE/jGzYAY1hLWE1iHR1KYaO.mvVE4WVdDSrvPNtfwAUn/yk3/|/home/lev|1001|1001

I'm not too hip about SQLite and schemas so I don't know about all
the other fields you have and whether you're parsing it correctly.
Need doveconf -n to see your SQL query.

> I've tried adding this to the database, but still no luck. :-(
> {SHA512-CRYPT}$6$kbUEfz/Mcgpctv/s$uNQGOL/2F01Br.vx0twozVi6v.KJAHZV0OQ7yOFwD9YCloh7UJmeFe7WrgUez9Q5xXdrNOU5q9H8fE3FU2ok9.

How does it relate to the previous hash?  Same password but another salt
and prepended with {SHA512-CRYPT}?

> The other thing I want to avoid is the home directory and UID and GID. Is
> there any way for dovecot to use logical, non UNIX users so there's no need to
> have a user database and an sqlite database?

Yes, you want a virtual user setup.

 	https://wiki.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers

You still need a user/password database of some sort unless you're
contemtemplating some wild free-for-all access with a single shared
password.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>