SQLite user database

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 00:20:27 EEST 2017

Lev <leventelist at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, that was a bit odd.  Same password, different hash.  Even with
> verify tool, there was mismatch.  So I decided to go for SHA512,
> without encryption.

Using user at domain as your ID solved your problem, and this side issue
of which hash scheme you're using is probably irrelevant.

You misunderstand what {SHA512-CRYPT} does compared with {SHA512}.  It is
normal to get a different hash with the same password when you regenerate
the hash because a different random salt was chosen (the part between the
'$6$' and the next '$') -- it used as part of the hash computation.

{SHA512} is a straight saltless hash -- the same password maps to the
same hash.  This makes it prone to dictionary attacks (i.e. pre-generated
tables of plaintext/hash values).

If you support both schemes, SHA512-CRYPT is much stronger.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>