application specific passwords

mj lists at merit.unu.edu
Thu Jul 20 14:29:13 EEST 2017

Hi,

Further to the other thread about password guessing activities against
our dovecot, I would like to implement application specific passwords on
our dovecot.

Googling results in some documents, but they are all a bit older:

> https://www.happyassassin.net/2014/08/26/adding-application-specific-passwords-to-dovecot-when-using-system-user-accounts/

> https://www.dgsiegel.net/news/2013_05_21-application_specific_passwords_for_dovecot

> http://www.justinbuchanan.com/blog/category/RoundCube

> http://www.justinbuchanan.com/blog/post/2012/12/02/Application-Specific-Passwords-for-Dovecot-and-Postfix

Those articles are interesting, but also rather old. (I realse that this
does not neccesarily mean: irrelevant or bad)

Is there anone here with some additional notes, ideas, tips, trics on
setting up application specific passwords with dovecot with virtual
users? We are using samba AD as an authentication backend.

MJ