Strange Error: Password data is not valid for scheme SHA256. Please help me resolve it.

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Jul 24 21:19:45 EEST 2017

Am 24.07.2017 um 00:18 schrieb david.madman2 at vfemail.net:
> Just to add to my previous message:
>
> I modified the args= in the passdb section of /etc/dovecot/passwd.db
> from SHA256 to SHA256-CRYPT which gave a different error when I tried to
> do the same creation of the account in Thunderbird. The new error is:
>
> Jul 23 22:12:23 www dovecot: auth:
> passwd-file(test at domain.com,46.xxx.xxx.xxx,<u4CLZBNVys4u8ic/>): Password
> mismatch

"Password mismatch" sounds to be clear.

Did you verify the SHA256-CRYPT hash?

doveadm pw -t
'{SHA256-CRYPT}$5$JYfSN2ogeOpMRPqA$zcojaWG0u35PYX5EYCHlRJiJyJg35.gSYURZy8T.FS8'
Enter password to verify:
{SHA256-CRYPT}$5$JYfSN2ogeOpMRPqA$zcojaWG0u35PYX5EYCHlRJiJyJg35.gSYURZy8T.FS8
(verified)

And which type of authentication method did you choose in Thunderbird?
It should be "password, normal".

Alexander