under another kind of attack

jack jack at jackpot.uk.net
Wed Jul 26 21:44:57 EEST 2017

On 26/07/2017 10:57, Olaf Hopp wrote:

> I'll keep an eye on my logs and maybe some more twaeking is
> necessary.

Twerking?

> So this doesn't look very well coordinated between the bots ;-)

Bots are cheap - free, basically, because they are stolen. Most
bruteforce attacks are crap; they try the same username/password pair on
the same host over and over again.

I would like to be able to signal to the bot "Dude, I do not accept
username/password pairs - you need a keypair, so give it a rest". But
the bots are dumb, because the economic advantage of building a smart
one is zero.

BTW: I don't think this is on-topic for Dovecot - we seem to be
discussing mail-abuse abatement measures, which is a much more general
topic.

--
Jack.