Retrieving mail from read-only mdbox

M. Balridge dovecot at r.paypc.com
Thu Jun 1 01:24:00 EEST 2017

Quoting Mark Moseley <moseleymark at gmail.com>:

> I've tried using IMAP with mail_location pointed at the snapshot, but,
> though I can get a listing of emails in the mailbox, the fetch fails when
> dovecot can't write-lock dovecot.index.log.

I'm surprised that dovecot would even try to write-lock a write-protected
file/directory, though I can appreciate the situation where a file may be in a
directory that is writable by some UID other than the one dovecot is running as.

Is there an unsafe control over lock_method similar to Samba's fake oplocks
setting in Dovecot?

If anyone wants some good "horror" writing, a perusal of Jeremy Allison's
write-up on the schizophrenic approaches to file-locking is worthy of your time.

https://www.samba.org/samba/news/articles/low_point/tale_two_stds_os2.html

=M=