corrupted indexes rebuilding over and over

micah micah at riseup.net
Mon Jun 5 19:34:00 EEST 2017

Hi,

On saturday one of our dovecot machines had an OOPS, and we had to
powercycle it. When it came up, it did a filesystem fsck (ext4) and
fixed a couple things, but nothing in lost+found.

Now, about 50 users have a problem where their indexes are
corrupted. Dovecot tries to fix them, but for some reason it is
failing. The users are seeing their mails duplicated and they cannot
delete mails. I can see in the logs dovecot detecting this and trying to
rebuild operations during delivery and imap login, but its repeating
over and over and over. For one user, I've seen more than 4k lines in
the logs about this.

If i try to do doveadm force-resync -u username INBOX

I get this:

doveadm(nuffsaid): Warning: mdbox /n/nuffsaid/mdbox/storage: Inconsistency in map index (3494,32332 != 3494,383536)
doveadm(nuffsaid): Warning: fscking index file /srv/dovecot_indexes/n/nuffsaid/storage/dovecot.map.index
doveadm(nuffsaid): Warning: mdbox /n/nuffsaid/mdbox/storage: rebuilding indexes
doveadm(nuffsaid): Warning: fscking index file /srv/dovecot_indexes/n/nuffsaid/storage/dovecot.map.index
doveadm(nuffsaid): Warning: mdbox /n/nuffsaid/mdbox/storage: Inconsistency in map index (3494,32332 != 3494,384024)
doveadm(nuffsaid): Warning: fscking index file /srv/dovecot_indexes/n/nuffsaid/storage/dovecot.map.index

but then if i do it again, I get the same thing, over and over and
over (the numbers change a little).

This is dovecot 2.2.27 with mdbox format.... what can I do to fix this?
Its driving users mad, and they keep going over quota as their space
fills.

thanks!
micah