lmtp: Error: Temp file creation to /tmp/ ... failed: No such file or directory on incoming mails with attachments

Lars-Sören Steck info at larssteck.de
Fri Jun 9 03:05:28 EEST 2017

Dear Aki,

as far as I know, I'm not using chroot. I am not aware of any setting
within my dovecot configuration that I attached which enables this. I
checked my mysql database as well (as it is stated in the dovecot
documentation that a chroot can also be returned by userdb), but it is
not activated there as well.

Also, I am using Apparmor and it is logging blocks to kern.log, where I
can't find anything related to this issue.

What I can notice is that this issue only happens randomly and once it
happened, it will continue to happen until dovecot is restarted. Then
only mails with attachments are stuck in mailqueue. I can't reproduce
it, even if I want to. I just sent a mail with a 25 MB attachment to an
address and it wasn't a problem. I can see from my logfiles though, that
this issue has happened several times already.

Lars