Minor patches for builds against ancient platforms

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 01:33:15 EEST 2017

> I do know that this little box of horrors has 200-300MB mbox INBOXes on an
> ext3 filesystem formatted in 2005.  I am very nervous about converting them to
> Maildir at this point.

Fortunately, it just involves reformatting the data and a little
reconmfiguration of dovcot.  If you can find the tool and disk space,
it's well worth doing.  Of course, when running a proverbial dinosaur,
you're often more preoccupied with preventing the next proverbial
meteorite strike.

> What I meant was, are certain types of filenames "blocked" by policy from
> being created via IMAP commands?  I'm sure I could run a few tests to answer
> this for myself, or better still, go through Timo's code.

I never saw anything that could do that -- maybe you can torture the
virtual mailbox facility to get that done.  If all your concerned is
dovecot dot-files, you can place the indices somewhere else other than
the user's filesapace.

> One last problem area is that many users have soft-links to mailboxes
> located on a second drive, but these never appear in folder enumeration
> lists or they appear grayed out in SeaMonkey/Thunderbird.  I've tried
> just symbolically linking to directories containing other mboxes, but
> sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.  I wonder if there's
> paranoia checking in the code that follows symbolic links to ensure
> that uids/gids of the "owning" directory and the linked-to directory
> (or files within it) are the same.

It works for me.  From what I see, the ownership of the symlink is
ignored; it's the underlying file that counts.  Maybe a subscription
issue?

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>