service(auth): command startup failed?

HL1234 hlangner at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jun 12 23:58:43 EEST 2017

Hello,
I need help because since some days I can not figure out what error this is
and where it come from. I have used dovecot since years. Know after an
update it is broken. First I like to give you some data:
It's a FreeBSD 11.0 Server with sendmail (SMTP) and dovecot for IMAP with
SSL.

#dovecot --build-options
Build options: ioloop=kqueue notify=kqueue ipv6 openssl io_block_size=8192
Mail storages: shared mdbox sdbox maildir mbox cydir imapc pop3c raw fail
SQL drivers: mysql
Passdb: checkpassword ldap pam passwd passwd-file sql
Userdb: checkpassword ldap nss passwd prefetch passwd-file sql

#dovecot --version
2.2.30.2 (c0c463e)

I install the update with the FreeBSD ports. Before the update all was
running fine.

The state know is: form my client Outlook I can send eMail above SMTP. When
I try to get my eMails by the IMAP-Server it is blocked. I have look around
in the config files but I see nothing what has could be changed.
I have tried to make new *.pem files with using the script in
/usr/local/share/examples/dovecot/ but this havn't bring a solution.

I need help for this error i see in the logs:
dovecot.log
master: Error: service(auth): command startup failed, throttling for 2 secs
auth: Error: auth: environment corrupt; missing value for DOVECOT_
auth: Fatal: unsetenv(RESTRICT_SETUID) failed: Bad address
auth: Error: auth: environment corrupt; missing value for DOVECOT_
auth: Fatal: unsetenv(RESTRICT_SETUID) failed: Bad address
dovecot-info.log
imap-login: Info: Disconnected: Auth process broken (disconnected before
auth was ready, waited 1 secs): user=<>, rip=77.178.105.78,
lip=88.74.25.120, TLS
Jun 12 23:01:15 imap-login: Info: Disconnected: Auth process broken
(disconnected before auth was ready, waited 8 secs): user=<>,
rip=58.218.194.81, lip=88.74.25.120, TLS handshaking
dovecot-debug.log
imap-login: Debug: SSL: where=0x10, ret=1: before/accept initialization
[77.178.105.78]
imap-login: Debug: SSL: where=0x2001, ret=1: before/accept initialization
[77.178.105.78]
imap-login: Debug: SSL: where=0x2001, ret=1: SSLv3 read client hello A
[77.178.105.78]
imap-login: Debug: SSL: where=0x2001, ret=1: SSLv3 write server hello A
[77.178.105.78]
imap-login: Debug: SSL: where=0x2001, ret=1: SSLv3 write certificate A
[77.178.105.78]
imap-login: Debug: SSL: where=0x2001, ret=1: SSLv3 write key exchange A
[77.178.105.78]
imap-login: Debug: SSL: where=0x2001, ret=1: SSLv3 write server done A
[77.178.105.78]
imap-login: Debug: SSL: where=0x2001, ret=1: SSLv3 flush data
[77.178.105.78]
imap-login: Debug: SSL: where=0x2001, ret=1: SSLv3 read client certificate A
[77.178.105.78]
imap-login: Debug: SSL: where=0x2002, ret=-1: SSLv3 read client key exchange
A [77.178.105.78]
imap-login: Debug: SSL: where=0x2002, ret=-1: SSLv3 read client key exchange
A [77.178.105.78]
auth: Debug: Loading modules from directory: /usr/local/lib/dovecot/auth
auth: Debug: Module loaded:
/usr/local/lib/dovecot/auth/lib20_auth_var_expand_crypt.so
auth: Debug: Read auth token secret from
/var/run/dovecot//auth-token-secret.dat

Have anyone an idea what is going wrong and how to fix it?
Harald