Minor patches for builds against ancient platforms

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 01:43:32 EEST 2017

> On that note, has anyone written a tool that "harmonises" users mail
> directories' permissions - ideally reading the dovecot configuration to assess
> where *THE* mail directories are actually used by dovecot?

 	doveadm user $user

which will supply the second half: it will spit out the UID, GID, home
and mail directories of a user as specified by dovecot's configuration.

> I was surprised by the pickiness of the group ownership/permissions
> issues, though reflecting on things, I can see why you'd at least want
> some logging by default for those conditions.

This is a consequence of writing secure software: it employs least
privilege so that a fault will not result in someone being able to mess
around with someone else's mail (or indices).  GID can also govern access
to shared mailboxes.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>