v2.2.28 released

Robert L Mathews lists at tigertech.com
Tue Mar 7 19:41:59 UTC 2017

On 3/6/17 2:30 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> I don't see anything critical. A couple of bugs that might or might
> not affect you. We'll have 2.2.29 soon enough, so no plans for other
> releases before that.

As a comment: When trying to choose which version of Dovecot to use in
production, I've found it difficult that minor point releases add new
features and make other changes, as well as purely fixing bugs.

It's a challenge to find a Dovecot version that fixes known issues
without introducing other (possibly problematic) changes. As a result, I
end up using what seems to be a mostly stable version, plus "extra
patches I grabbed from reading the mailing list".

I'm grateful for all the effort put into the code, but for me, at least,
it would be easier to work with if new features and changes were only in
new versions like 2.3, with 2.2.x only fixing bugs. (And when 2.3 is
stable, new features would be in 2.4, with 2.3.x just fixing bugs, and
so on.) This is the model used in Postfix development, for example, and
I find it easier to work with in terms of finding a known stable version.

But again, this could be just me, and I apologize if this has already
been suggested and found inappropriate. As I said, I definitely
appreciate that the code is constantly being improved.

--
Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies, http://www.tigertech.net/