Backing Up and Restoring mailboxes

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Wed Mar 15 20:58:40 EET 2017

I am going to be wiping clean my system and doing a complete upgrade. I
have dovecot installed. I want to back up the mail system, and then be
able to restore it.

I thought that I could do this.

doveadm -Dv backup -u user at example.com maildir:~/DoveBU

Then I was going to gunzip that directory and put it onto a USB Drive.

Now, after updating the system, I thought that I could just unzip the
file from the USB drive. My question is, what command do I run to
return the files to the same place they were originally. Assuming the
structure was: "/var/mail/vmail/", what would I do?

Thanks

--
Jerry