Dovecot 2.2.27 proxy - enforcing per client IP connection limits

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 20:23:20 UTC 2017

Adi Pircalabu writes:

> For us it is, we're periodically getting hammered by iOS devices that
> try to open 300+ simultaneous IMAP connections for a single user from
> the same IP, while the average hovers usually below 50 for the busier
> mailboxes with many folders.

Oh yeah, I've seen this.  I think this happens when someone does a global
pattern search, which causes the client to launch IMAP SEARCH commands
on each and every mailbox.

I've wondered whether installing Solr would alleviate this: it wouldn't
directly address the connection limit problem, but perhaps it can
return results fast enough to keep the concurrent connections
count down.

Can anyone with Solr installed confirm/refute this:  does installing
Solr keep iOS clients from roofing the connection count?

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>