sievec

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Mar 17 14:46:10 EET 2017

On 03/17/2017 12:07 AM, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 03/16/2017 11:50 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> Doug,
>>
>> On 03/16/2017 11:23 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
>>> Your pattern seems a little too complicated. See below.
>>
>> I acquired this script from:
>>
>> http://www.campworld.net/thewiki/pmwiki.php/LinuxServersCentOS/Cent6VirtMailServer
>>

>> No telling where he got it from.  So I greatly appreciate any and all
>> advice.
>
> Blindly following things you find on the Internet is not a path to
> success. :)

That is why I am here asking questions. Like I have done on the postfix,
apache, openssl, amavis, and roundcubemail lists (and of course centos,
centos-arm, and fedora).  With BIND, I just sit down with Mark at IETF
meetings :)  Going to be doing that with Rich and openssl, as I want to
start working with EDDSA certs, as does he.

>> I am writing my own howto, and I would like to think I am doing a better
>> job of it.
>
> You may consider whether your own depth of understanding is sufficient
> to improve the situation, or whether you are simply adding more noise.
> I wish you luck in any case.

Lots of the examples out there say, "use this conf file rather than the
one in the package".  I learned with postfix NOT to do that, but to use
their postconf tool.  So I have been brushing up on my SED skills to
write SED commands to make the desired changes to the provided files.
Once I test out the dovecot conf mods that they are working as I want I
will post them here.

>> Not completely.  I 'program' in English writing standards like IEEE
>> 802.1AR, 802.15.9, and RFCs.  I have not really programmed since the
>> mid-80s with 'B'.
>>
>> I leave the converting of our carefully worded standards to executables
>> to others.... :)
>
> We all have our own areas of expertise. Nothing wrong with that.

I once knew some AWK (back around '93 on SunOS), but that skill is long
gone, and SED is not so hard to learn.  Lots of guidance if you google a
bit.  Then test, test, test!

>> That said, is this what you are advising:
>
> Not precisely. You want to remove the 'else' in there, as the clause
> you have will do the opposite of what you intend.

I thought so, but was not sure what you were advising me.  Yet another
reason to post a reply, "do I got it now", "no you don't" ;)

> Also note that I removed your superfluous square brackets.
>
>> require "fileinto";
>>   if header :contains "X-Spam-Flag" "YES" {
>>     fileinto "Spam";
>>   }
>>   if header :contains "subject" "***SPAM***" {
>>     fileinto "Spam";
>>   }

Thanks

> The best way to work with this is to start with simple rules on an
> individual client. Once you get a rule set that works, then you can
> move on to compiling it for the system. Always start as simple as
> possible though, and only add to it if your simple thing does not work.
>
> This is a pretty good tutorial on the syntax and options for Sieve.
> Given your intended purpose you should pay special attention to the
> 'create' modifier for 'fileinto'. Also, I would accomplish both things
> in the same rule using 'anyof' which should be slightly more efficient
> (which could make a big difference to server load depending on how
> many users you are supporting).

Particularly since this is a duo core armv7 (CubieTruck) that I am
working with.  I would really want to get one of the newer quad cores,
so that amavis/clamav/spamassin could eat up 2 of them, and still have 2
left for postfix, dovecot, and other processes.  I don't like the armv8
so far as they are 12V and ready power supplies just aren't out there
like 5V for the armv7; plus they are still pricey.  But armv8 is 64bit...

See:

http://medon.htt-consult.com/images/cubietower-3.JPG

medon is the top server.  It is a simple web server running Centos7-arm:

http://medon.htt-consult.com/Centos7-armv7.html

onlo is the bottom one, and it is my DNS outward master server.

ROI replacing a bunch of intel SFFs like the one on the left was 18
months on power savings.

> https://support.tigertech.net/sieve
>
> hope this helps,

Yes it does.  I have been reading a lot, recently!

Bob