Problem with sieve_before

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Mar 21 20:06:29 EET 2017

On 03/21/2017 11:32 AM, chaouche yacine wrote:
>> On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:03 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>> On 03/21/2017 09:06 AM, chaouche yacine wrote:
>>> Hi Ger,
>>>
>>> sieve_before should be a path to sieve script file, not to a directory.
>>> in your configuration, you set sieve_before to /var/lib/dovecot/sieve/before which is a directory.
>> I don't get that reading:
>> https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Configuration
>>
>> Either file or directory.  If a file, it searches for the svbin of that
>> name, otherwise compiles your script.  If directory, executes all in the
>>
>> directory.
> Well spotted Robert, I didn't know that. It also says here https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Usage#scriptcompile that one must be aware of permission issues with auto-compiled scripts : if the system user used by sieve to compile the script doesn't have write access to the directory where the script lives then it can't write the compiled version in that location. This is why one should consider pre-compiling scripts himself to make sure the compiled version is written to disk
>
> As mentionned in the link you gave :
>
> "IMPORTANT: Be sure to manually pre-compile the scripts specified by sieve_before and sieve_after using the sievec tool, as explained here."

The howto I am making has:

mkdir /home/sieve
cat <<EOF>/home/sieve/globalfilter.sieve || exit 1
require "fileinto";
if anyof
   (
     header :contains "X-Spam-Flag" "YES",
     header :contains "subject" "***SPAM***"
   )
{
   fileinto "Spam";
}
EOF

sievec /home/sieve/globalfilter.sieve
chown -R vmail:mail /home/sieve

With:

sed -i -e "s/#sieve_before =/sieve_before =
\/home\/sieve\/globalfilter.sieve/w /dev/stdout"
/etc/dovecot/conf.d/90-sieve.conf