[BUG] doveadm kick doesn't play well with hibernate

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun May 14 23:34:39 EEST 2017

On 12 May 2017, at 5.14, Christian Balzer <chibi at gol.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Dovecot 2.2.27 (Debian Jessie backports).
>
> When issuing a "doveadm kick" for a specific user I was greeted by:
> ---
> "warning: other connections would also be kicked from following users:"
> ---
> and a list of 22odd thousand users.
>
> As it turns out, kick wants to smack the hibernation proces(ses) that
> have hibernated sessions for this user, obviously the wrong approach here.

Kicking in backends works by sending a signal to the mail processes. It would be nice to support other ways also, but that would require larger changes.

> If there's doveadm command to wake up and thus un-hibernate sessions for a
> specific user this could be used as a workaround but a quick glance
> suggest no such thing.

If you change the dovecot.index.log of any of the folders where the user is IDLEing, that'd do it. I think just find /user 'dovecot.index.log' | xargs touch would work.

> This functionality is absolutely crucial for us as we need this for our
> custom mailbox migration functionality.
>
> If there's no workaround or fix within 2 months I'll be forced to disable
> hibernation again (with a heavy heart).

How about doveadm director kick / doveadm proxy kick?