sieve folders in maildir with imap: not a directory not fixed with maildir_stat_dirs = yes

David Gessel gessel at blackrosetech.com
Wed May 31 16:09:38 EEST 2017

As my logs fill up with "imap(user at domain.com): Error: stat(/mail/doman.com/user//.dovecot.sieve/tmp) failed: Not a directory" errors, I followed the advice at https://wiki2.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers/Home and https://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2016-June/104403.html and set in /usr/local/etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-mail.conf

# By default LIST command returns all entries in maildir beginning with a dot.
# Enabling this option makes Dovecot return only entries which are directories.
# This is done by stat()ing each entry, so it causes more disk I/O.
# (For systems setting struct dirent->d_type, this check is free and it's
# done always regardless of this setting)
maildir_stat_dirs = yes

My mailbox format reads "mail_location = maildir:~:CONTROL=/var/no-quota/%u:INDEX=MEMORY"

The error is factually correct, but there is not .dovecot.sieve/tmp directory or file as .dovecot.sieve is a file (the head sieve script that calls the subordinate scripts out of the /sieve directory.

There is a tmp directory at /sieve/tmp/

drwxr-----    2 vmail  vmail     2B May 31 04:14 tmp

Any hints as to why this isn't working?  It does seem like the right answer.