How to limit Apple Mail (desktop)?

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 23:11:52 EET 2017

"@lbutlr" <kremels at kreme.com> writes:

(Are you the OP, or have I mistakenly atributed this to Rupert Gallagher?)

>> So what the composition of all this traffic? Are you saying the mail
>> client is ultra dumb and repeatedly downloading entire messages, read
>> and unread, attachment and all (i.e.  you're truly bandwidth limited?)
>
> It most certainly does not do that.

If this is the case for the OP, it's back to square one to find log
entries, and/or nfsstat/iostat/vmstat/etc output to see what is "killing"
the server.  File locking issues, mail_max_userip_connections and process
limit values could also cause service flakiness.  Apple mail readers
seems to gobble up IMAP connections like candy.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>