dovecot-lda without starting dovecot?

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw.ml at ithnet.com
Fri Nov 3 18:23:56 EET 2017

On Fri, 3 Nov 2017 17:53:47 +0200 (EET)
Aki Tuomi <aki.tuomi at dovecot.fi> wrote:

> > On November 3, 2017 at 1:50 PM Stephan von Krawczynski
> > <skraw.ml at ithnet.com> wrote:
> >

> > Hello,
> >
> > we have a setup where SMTP/LDA and POP3/IMAP are on different physical
> > hosts. They share the mail data via an external storage.
> > Now we would like to use dovecot-lda on the smtp host, so we wonder if the
> > lda binary works without starting dovecot from init. As there will be no
> > POP3/IMAP usage on this host it seems unnecessary. Nevertheless we cannot
> > judge if it is still needed for lda&sieve to work.
> > Your opinion?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Stephan
>
> dovecot-lda does not work without dovecot unless you have physical users and
> you run the binary as target user. with virtual users it's virtually
> impossible to achieve.
>
> Aki

Hello Aki,

let me explain this a bit more. We do not intend to use only some copied
binary. Of course we would do a full installation of dovecot and pidgeonhole,
only we question if it is necessary to start the dovecot init-file bringing up
the dovecot imap/imap-login/pop/pop-login/auth and other processes.
Indeed we have virtual users.

--
Regards,
Stephan