dovecot-lda without starting dovecot?

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw.ml at ithnet.com
Fri Nov 3 19:39:26 EET 2017

On Fri, 3 Nov 2017 19:30:22 +0200
Sami Ketola <sami.ketola at dovecot.fi> wrote:

> > On 3 Nov 2017, at 18.23, Stephan von Krawczynski <skraw.ml at ithnet.com>
> > wrote: Hello Aki,
> >
> > let me explain this a bit more. We do not intend to use only some copied
> > binary. Of course we would do a full installation of dovecot and
> > pidgeonhole, only we question if it is necessary to start the dovecot
> > init-file bringing up the dovecot imap/imap-login/pop/pop-login/auth and
> > other processes. Indeed we have virtual users.
>

> While it might be possible to disable all the other services except master I
> must ask why? How would the users be accessing their mails then?
>
> Sami

Hello Sami,

you did not read my first post. We are talking about a multihost installation
where one host does SMTP and LDA, and the other does POP and IMAP (with
dovecot). Now we want to use dovecot-lda for the local delivery _on the SMTP
host_. So there is no need for open POP or IMAP ports and the corresponding
running services.

--
Regards,
Stephan