dovecot-lda without starting dovecot?

Stephan Herker herker at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 03:02:57 EET 2017

On 11/3/2017 4:57 PM, Sami Ketola wrote:
>>> While it might be possible to disable all the other services except master I
>>> must ask why? How would the users be accessing their mails then?
>>>
>>> Sami
>> Hello Sami,
>>
>> you did not read my first post. We are talking about a multihost installation
>> where one host does SMTP and LDA, and the other does POP and IMAP (with
>> dovecot). Now we want to use dovecot-lda for the local delivery _on the SMTP
>> host_. So there is no need for open POP or IMAP ports and the corresponding
>> running services.
> Again that does not answer my question why? Why do you want all the locking problems
> and multi-access problems that come with setup like that? What is the actual problem that
> you are trying to solve?
>
> Sami

I think you have to run dovecot on the server receiving mails, just
don't open imap/pop3 ports so users can't get there.  Then publish the
other server as your imap/pop3 server.  Both servers probably should
have the same setup for postfix and dovecot, but just kill the ports on
the one that doesn't need it.  To run lda you're going to have to run
dovecot on your mail relay.