dovecot-lda without starting dovecot?

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw.ml at ithnet.com
Mon Nov 6 11:01:19 EET 2017

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 08:37:11 +0200
Sami Ketola <sami.ketola at dovecot.fi> wrote:

> > On 5 Nov 2017, at 12.55, Stephan von Krawczynski <skraw.ml at ithnet.com>
> > wrote: Sorry to say this setup works flawlessly for years. The only
> > addition we will make now is to do the delivery with dovecot-lda.
> > Everything else (including multiple dovecot pop/imap servers) will stay as
> > is. Hopefully dovecot-lda does not fiddle around with the indexes too
> > much, as we then would have to delete this part of the code out. It is not
> > needed as we found out during the last 10 years of delivering mails into
> > the maildirs by atomic rename action while dovecot is presenting them over
> > imap.
>

> Feel free to do anything you like. I'm just going to mention to people later
> reading these from the achives not to take this kind of strange hack as an
> example of recommended dovecot clustering. Instead consider it as an
> opposite of any best practices cluster setup.
>
> Sami

Maybe they are interested that it runs like charm ;-)
Of course it is overly complex to let dovecot-lda look up the mail_location
since we already know that when starting it, but at least it shows a nice
output in the logs.
Still we are not content with it touching/locking dovecot.index.log. If
someone pointed at one location in the code where this could be disabled we
would implement a new param for switching that off.

--
Regards,
Stephan