dovecot-lda without starting dovecot?

Angel L. Mateo amateo at um.es
Tue Nov 7 08:52:13 EET 2017

El 03/11/17 a las 12:50, Stephan von Krawczynski escribió:
> Hello,
>
> we have a setup where SMTP/LDA and POP3/IMAP are on different physical hosts.
> They share the mail data via an external storage.
> Now we would like to use dovecot-lda on the smtp host, so we wonder if the
> lda binary works without starting dovecot from init. As there will be no
> POP3/IMAP usage on this host it seems unnecessary. Nevertheless we cannot
> judge if it is still needed for lda&sieve to work.
> Your opinion?

	You could configure dovecot in the smtp box without pop3 and imap
daemons without any problem (I guess). All you have to do is disable
these services in master configuration.

	But I wouldn't do it that way. I think is easier to configure LDA in
the pop3/imap server and configure SMTP to deliver mail via LMTP to the
dovecot server. This way you have to deal with dovecot configuration
just in the mailbox server and you don't have to share storage.

--
Angel L. Mateo Martínez
Sección de Telemática