Dovecot lmtp doesn't log

Tomislav Perisic tomiperisic at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 12:36:58 EET 2017

Hi,

We have 2 servers, server A and server B.

Server A has:

Postfix
dovecot-2.2.33.2-1.el6.x86_64

Server B has:

dovecot-2.2.33.2-1.el6.x86_64
dovecot-pigeonhole-2.2.33.2-1.el6.x86_64

Server A receives email on postfix, dovecot then takes that email from
postfix and proxies it to Server B Dovecot. Dovecot on Server B takes the
proxied email and delivers it with lmtp to the user inboxes.

The problem is that the dovecot on server B Doesn't log anything regarding
the emails that are being delivered to the mailbox via lmtp.

Dovecot on server A logs everything perfectly regarding the proxy, so my
assumption is that there is an issue with Dovecot lmtp logging. We changed
the logging from syslog directly to a file and we noticed the same problem,
missing log entries.

We also tried turning on verbose logging and it didn't help.

Server B:

Red Hat  6.7 x86_64

rpm -qa | grep dove
dovecot-2.2.33.2-1.el6.x86_64
dovecot-pigeonhole-2.2.33.2-1.el6.x86_64

doveconf -n

# 2.2.33.2: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# Pigeonhole version 0.4.21
auth_cache_negative_ttl = 0
auth_debug = yes
auth_debug_passwords = yes
auth_verbose = yes
listen = *
mail_debug = yes
mail_gid = mail
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mail_plugins = " quota zlib"
mail_uid = vmail
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto

namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Spam {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    auto = subscribe
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  mailbox Virus {
    auto = subscribe
  }

plugin {
  quota = maildir:User quota
  sieve_extensions = +editheader
  sieve_max_actions = 32
  sieve_max_redirects = 4
  sieve_max_script_size = 1M
  sieve_quota_max_scripts = 0
  sieve_trace_debug = yes
  sieve_trace_level = matching
  sieve_vacation_dont_check_recipient = yes
  sieve_vacation_send_from_recipient = yes
  sieve_vacation_use_original_recipient = yes
  zlib_save = gz
  zlib_save_level = 6
}
protocols = imap pop3 lmtp sieve
service auth {
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    group = mail
    mode = 0666
    user = vmail
  }
}
service lmtp {
  inet_listener lmtp {
    port = xx
  }
}
service managesieve-login {
  inet_listener sieve {
    port = xx
  }
  service_count = 1
}

protocol lmtp {
  mail_plugins = " quota zlib sieve mail_log notify"
}
protocol imap {
  mail_plugins = " quota zlib imap_quota imap_zlib"
}
protocol sieve {
  managesieve_implementation_string = dovecot
  managesieve_logout_format = bytes ( in=%i : out=%o )
  managesieve_max_line_length = 65536
  managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character
vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags
copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date ihave
}