dovecot-lda without starting dovecot?

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw.ml at ithnet.com
Mon Nov 20 12:54:53 EET 2017

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 12:05:46 +0200
Sami Ketola <sami.ketola at dovecot.fi> wrote:

> > On 20 Nov 2017, at 10.50, Stephan von Krawczynski <skraw.ml at ithnet.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > AFAIK no complex director stuff would be needed then, right?
> > The second sentence implies that using file locking should also be enough,
> > which dovecot does.
>
> You are building such a complex system and then you think that creating
> director layer would be complex?
>
> Just out of curiosity may I ask what size of an environment is this? As it's
> very hard for me to believe that this would scale.
>
> Sami

If I had lets say 10 nodes handling incoming SMTP and delivery to local
maildirs in parallel and independantly on a network storage and imapping this
from another independant 4 nodes, then building a not needed bottleneck by
shifting over the local delivery via director and LMTP to fewer nodes is just
braindead creation of high loads on few boxes.

And btw it scales perfectly because all that is needed if load increases is
up'ing additional nodes for SMTP/delivery or IMAP _which are all the same (of
two types)_.

The loadbalancer needed for this can be equally used for e.g. web, ftp and
other services. So there is absolutely no extra stuff needed for the mail
setup.

--
Regards,
Stephan