Errors installing on Ubuntu 17.04

Jeff Kletsky dovecot at allycomm.com
Tue Nov 21 19:36:46 EET 2017

On 11/21/17 5:20 AM, Someone wrote:

> On Tue, 21/11/17, Jeff Kletsky <dovecot at allycomm.com> wrote:
>> On 11/20/17 1:58 PM, Someone wrote:
>>
>>   > I've been
> struggling with this on and off for a while now.  Upon
>
>>> attempting to install Dovecot on Ubuntu
> 17.04 I get the following errors
>

> [...]
>
>> "Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l
> to show in full."
>
> I'm aware of that, yes.  Unfortunately I don't know how to tell any of
> the myriad of package installers to "do the right thing" in such cases,
>
> and, as stated, this is happening during installation.
>

>>   Without seeing the full messages, my guess is that you've got problems with your IPv6 configuration or connectivity.
> Entirely possible, since I don't have IPv6 and have completely disabled
> it as a result.  Even were I to re-enable it, I don't see it would help
> if problems with IPv6 connectivity would also be a problem (because I
> don't have it).
Without the log information, you've made it nearly impossible to help
you. The problem looks to be occurring in the execution of dovecot, not
the install process.

While you may not have IPv6 connectivity, with the little information
you've provided:

Oct 05 14:08:56 ash dovecot[8885]: Error: socket() failed: Address family n…ocol
Oct 05 14:08:56 ash dovecot[8885]: Error: service(imap-login): listen(::, 1…ocol
Oct 05 14:08:56 ash dovecot[8885]: master: Error: socket() failed: Address …ocol
Oct 05 14:08:56 ash dovecot[8885]: Fatal: Failed to start listeners

it is possible that dovecot is expecting to be able to connect over IPv6 and is unable to do so.
"socket() failed: Address family" and "listen(::, " are strong hints of that.

If you have successfully disabled IPv6 (which, I believe, Ubuntu enables by default) and dovecot is trying to listen on an IPv6 address, it is not surprising that errors occur.

The output of 'ip addr' and 'sysctl -a | fgrep net.ipv6' would be helpful, as would you examining the output of 'doveconf' to see if dovecot is trying to listen on IPv6 addresses.

Jeff