Convert from mbox to Maildir

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Fri Oct 13 12:51:08 EEST 2017

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 11:34:22AM +1000, David.M.Clark wrote:
> Just went through this one recently using CentOS with SendMail, Procmail and
> IMAP conversion from mbox to Maildir - I needed to make sure I could run
> both formats while I migrated users one-by-one.

Thanks for your suggestion, David!

My approach is similar. But I want to migrate not only users one-by-one but
also their mailboxes one-by-one.

I'm going the route that procmail will deliver to mbox folders directly. So
dovecot-lda won't even see mails for mbox folders.

But that's not the point that bothers me.

The problem is that in case of problems (e.g. broken/bad dovecot
configuration) mail is silently dropped without passing back the error
indication back to procmail. Therefore procmail assumes the delivery was
successful and won't bother to store it into some safe place. This effectively
results in lost mail.

--
Josef Wolf
jw at raven.inka.de