IMAP stops responding.

Søren Peter Skou sps at DanskKabelTV.dk
Fri Oct 20 12:24:22 EEST 2017

Hiya all,

I've experienced that IMAP/IMAPS stops responding. To restore service there is only one way, restart Dovecot completely. This leads to services being interrupted for some people, so it seems to only affect some of the users on the server. But POP3/POP3s is still running happily. Also, it happens more as we approach Rush Hour. All of this leads me to believe that we're facing a problem with clients somehow. I've searched the net for the problem, and dating back I've found references to Apple units being the culprit. So we've taken an old Apple client, and tried to see how many sessions it actually starts, the result of that test was that regardless what we tried it only opened one extra session.

A bit of information, Debian OS :
dovecot-core                   2:2.2.27-1~auto+44            amd64        secure POP3/IMAP server - core files
dovecot-imapd                  2:2.2.27-1~auto+44            amd64        secure POP3/IMAP server - IMAP daemon
dovecot-mysql                  2:2.2.27-1~auto+44            amd64        secure POP3/IMAP server - MySQL support
dovecot-pop3d                  2:2.2.27-1~auto+44            amd64        secure POP3/IMAP server - POP3 daemon
dovecot-sieve                  2:2.2.27-1~auto+44            amd64        secure POP3/IMAP server - Sieve filters support

the Config itself is fairly simple, lookup through MySQL to find username/password etc - I don't really see any obvious option. Also, limiting users/sessions per IP isn't really a good idea as we have a great deal of customers behind NAT.

Med venlig hilsen/Best regards

Søren P. Skou
Netværkstekniker

[logo]