Outlook 2016 SSO with GSSAPI auth?

Robert Giles rgiles at arlut.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 25 00:59:51 EEST 2017

Hi folks,

I've been sifting through various threads on GSSAPI and NTLM support,
and I'm wondering if anyone out there can confirm or deny GSSAPI IMAP
auth support in Microsoft Outlook 2016 (Windows)?  Perhaps there's some
magic registry key to change IMAP auth from PLAIN to GSSAPI?

We're trying to do single sign-on + e-mail for Windows domain users;
Thunderbird GSSAPI works fine, of course, but Outlook 2016 is the
policy-mandated e-mail client for this particular environment (Windows
10 client desktop, Windows Server 2012 R2 AD, RHEL7 Dovecot).

It seems that Outlook 2016 might also support NTLMv1 / GSS-SPNEGO out of
the box for IMAP accounts, but NTLMv1 is - rightly - disabled in this
environment (and I also see 'NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL' reported by
/usr/bin/ntlm_auth back to the Dovecot auth worker).

Thanks for any ideas out there!

Robert