Initialization failed: Namespace '': mkdir(/var/www/mail) failed: Permission denied

trash at skrilnetz.net trash at skrilnetz.net
Thu Oct 26 17:17:19 EEST 2017

Hi,

I'm running dovecot (v 2.2.9) on ubuntu 14.04 since a long time. I did
not change any configuration lately and I'm getting the below error
message.

/dovecot: lda(www-data): Error: user www-data: Initialization failed:
Namespace '': MKDIR(/VAR/WWW/MAIL) failed: Permission denied
(euid=33(www-data) egid=33(www-data) missing +w perm: /var/www, dir
owned by 1001:1001 mode=0755//)  /

I did some troubleshooting and I don't understand where
the MKDIR(/VAR/WWW/MAIL) is coming from. Mailboxes are in /var/mail
and sending/receiving emails is working as it always did.

mail_location is still setup to be MAIL_LOCATION =
MBOX:~/MAIL:INBOX=/VAR/MAIL/%U

Why is it trying a mkdir in /var/www?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rgs,