Password encription

Aki Tuomi aki.tuomi at dovecot.fi
Fri Oct 27 09:57:29 EEST 2017

The use of salt, today, is to prevent the attacker from directly seeing
who has same passwords. Of course it also will make a rainbow table
attack less useful, but then again, no one uses rainbow tables anymore
since it takes about few minutes to brute force a password in the cloud
or on your home computer GPU. SHA512-CRYPT uses by default 4000 rounds
on dovecot, to make it more computationally expensive, but still it's
not very strong protection anymore.

MD5 with or without salt can be attacked at passwords per second speed,
so using CRAM-MD5 of DIGEST-MD5 is very very poor choice. Anything with
MD5 should not be used for passwords these days.

With Dovecot 2.3 we are making BLF-CRYPT available on all platforms, and
also adding support for ARGON2 when you have libsodium available.

Aki