How to limit Apple Mail (desktop)?

Rupert Gallagher ruga at protonmail.com
Tue Oct 31 22:00:04 EET 2017

I think I am not mistaken in saying that the original purpose of IMAP was to access a remote database, vs POP's approach to download it. When the IMAP client opens a folder, the server uploads the *index* of its content. When the client requests a specific item, the server uploads the item while keeping the original. If the client renames a folder, the server just renames the folder.

Apple Mail behaves like a POP client that wants to download everything while keeping the db on the server. Further down Apple's madness, if the client renames a folder, Apple mail asks the server to upload the full content of the "new" folder. Batshit crazy!

The very best therapy here is, in my opinion, to serve Apple Mail's request for mass download as if it were a regular IMAP index request, if technically feasible. If it is not feasible, then the alternative is not to rate limit the connection, but to ban Apple Mail entirely.

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile