doveadm expunge returns error code 68

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Fri Sep 8 15:38:49 EEST 2017

Hi Aki,

On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 11:26:30AM +0300, Aki Tuomi wrote:
> On 05.09.2017 14:39, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> > Hi,
> > i am running basically this from cron:
> >
> > /usr/bin/doveadm -v expunge -u * mailbox INBOX.Spam SENTBEFORE 90d
> > /usr/bin/doveadm -v expunge -u * mailbox INBOX.Trash SENTBEFORE 90d
> > /usr/bin/doveadm -v expunge -u * mailbox INBOX.Junk SENTBEFORE 90d
> >
> > Now i am experiencing that the first line e.g. expunging INBOX.Spam
> > returns the error code 68. No syslog/Output whatsoever. I tried
> > running with -vvv -D which gives me a lot of output (for all mailboxes)
> > but still i am unable to pinpoint the problem. The later 2 commands
> > return "0" as expected.
> >
> > Where does the error return code come from and what does 68 mean?

> You probably should use -A instead of -u *.

My problem is not that it does not process all users. The problem is
that i dont get ANY error message except the exit code. No logging
at all. I tried to find any define in the source-code with 68 and failed
to find one. So i am completely clueless where the problem is.

And -A returns the very same exit code - on Jessie and Stretch.

Flo