Automatic DB password hash scheme selection

Kurt Fitzner kurt+dove at va1der.ca
Fri Sep 8 17:48:15 EEST 2017

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a way to get dovecot to recognize arbitrary password hash
>> schemes when looking up a password in a database? I originally set up
>> with #default_pass_scheme = MD5, and I would like to migrate to
>> SHA512.
>>
>> Is this possible currently?
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kurt
>
> Hi!
>
> Prefix with {SCHEME}.

Hi Aki,

Thanks for the tip.  This works, but when implementing it I discovered
that just setting the password type generically to 'CRYPT' will let
Dovecott use the built-in OS crypt decoding of the scheme number already
encoded in the password.  It now automatically detects MD5, SHA256, and
SHA512.  If my Linux distribution supported blowfish it would support
that too.