Dovecot and Letsencrypt certs

Ralph Seichter m16+dovecot at monksofcool.net
Fri Sep 8 19:08:13 EEST 2017

On 08.09.2017 16:20, LuKreme wrote:

> That is a great solution, but I think it’s probably easier to just
> kick dovecot once a month.

Certbot hooks are very easy to write, and are only executed when the
certificate is updated. In that light, I can see no advantage in "kick
dovecot once a month". ;-)

> However, it seems like checking the certs is something that dovecot
> should be doing on its own.

What is Dovecot supposed to do? Keep track of the certificate expiry
date? And if that is passed, then what? Automatically shutdown/restart?
What if the certificate has not been updated in between? I think that
handling certificates is better left to the administrator.

-Ralph