Is it possible to disable pipelining in imapc?

Nagy, Attila bra at fsn.hu
Mon Sep 11 11:59:16 EEST 2017

On 09/11/2017 10:42 AM, Sami Ketola wrote:
>> On 11 Sep 2017, at 11.24, Nagy, Attila <bra at fsn.hu> wrote:
>> I use dovecot with a broken IMAP server (which doesn't properly implement command pipelining amongst others) as an imapc backend.
>> Dovecot issues the above command sequence (SELECT and UID FETCH pipelined), which doesn't work with this server.
>>
>> Therefore I'm requesting an imapc_features setting, IMAPC_FEATURE_NO_PIPELINING, which disables PIPELINING in dovecot imapc. Similarly to other workarounds, like IMAPC_FEATURE_FETCH_MSN_WORKAROUNDS, IMAPC_FEATURE_FETCH_FIX_BROKEN_MAILS et al.
>
> Dovecot IMAPC should not pipeline unless remote advertises pipelining support in CAPABILITY response.
> Are you saying that you have imap server which advertses support for it but then does not support it
> after all?

It's a capability in POP3 and an extension in (E)SMTP.
I don't know about pipelining capability in IMAP (BTW, the server
doesn't advertise such capability, in fact, it doesn't support any
capabilities), it's standard, plain old IMAP RFC:

The whole topic is about a bad IMAP server, which doesn't properly
implement pipelining (hence IMAP RFC), like others, for which dovecot
implements a workaround in imapc.