Inexplicable missing permissions issue

Nelson Crosby nelsonc at sourcecomb.com
Wed Sep 20 01:56:46 EEST 2017

Thanks for taking a look.

> this is owned by root, and it's complaining about
> /var/logmail/**mbox**/ncrosby
> and dovecot cannot create this because mbox is only writable by root

That's definitely not the issue. As I explained, I've played with
permissions through the entire /var/logmail tree (including the
/var/logmail/mbox directory).

Another configuration in which the exact same message occurs
(including the exact same statement about being owned by 0:0):

    /var/logmail
    |-- [drwx------ root     root    ]  lost+found
    |-- [drwxrwxr-x root     mail    ]  mbox
    |   `-- [drwxr-xr-x ncrosby  ncrosby ]  ncrosby
    `-- [drwxrwxr-x root     mail    ]  spool
        |-- [-rw-rw---- fedora   mail    ]  fedora
        `-- [-rw-rw---- ncrosby  mail    ]  ncrosby

    4 directories, 2 files

Your time is appreciated;