Different users having same home/mail_location?

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Sun Sep 24 01:43:54 EEST 2017

Hello Peter,

I'm using a virtual users model in dovecot where all the mail is stored
under the same OS user account anyway, so file/dir permissions won't be
a problem. The system users I was referring to are actually completely
separate user accounts at the moment with their own uid/gid (and
passwordless sudo between them), but I guess they could use same uid/gid
and just have separate entries in passwd/shadow.

Anyway at the moment I'm not concerned about getting the authentication
part working, but whether there's something in dovecot that will bite my
sitting muscles if mail_location is the same for two users. I'm aware of
the shared folders functionality mentioned by Marcus and that will
probably be my fallback, if sharing a mail_location is not viable. Same
mail_location would just be simpler.

   Tapio