Quota - frustrated trying to configure ...

Tony tony at kode.email
Tue Sep 26 00:23:18 EEST 2017

1. how do I keep mails from being rejected and kept in the local
mailqueue instead? (which is the old system's behavior)?

* You can set a quota grace to basically have a soft-limit - allowing the user to go slightly above their allocated quota.

2. what's the best (or simplest or recommended) way of setting up
per-user-quotas in this setup?

* I'm not sure if this is considered the "simplest", but like you I am also using LDAP auth. With this setup, I have LDAP manage per-user quotas. The primary mail schema I use is equipped with a mailQuota attribute. I have this quota attribute set as part of user_attrs in dovecot-ldap.conf.ext. For example, per user quotas in LDAP:

user_attrs = ....,mailQuota=quota_rule=*:bytes=%$

3. how can I get  an overview/list of all users and their quota usage? (I
guess I just solved that - "doveadm quota get -A" seems to work)

* It helps to set up aliases unless you don't mind typing a lot. To get an overview/list of all users and their quota usage I have a couple quota aliases defined:

alias quotaa='doveadm quota get -A | sort -h '
$ quotaa

alias quota='doveadm quota get -u $1 '
$ quota <username>

IMHO the official Dovecot docs are great, but I also battled with quotas for a short duration, so hopefully this will help a bit more.

Cheers,
TC