imapc and masteruser

Sami Ketola sami.ketola at dovecot.fi
Thu Sep 28 22:09:41 EEST 2017

> On 28 Sep 2017, at 20.50, Computerisms Corporation <bob at computerisms.ca> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> My end goal is to set up shared mailboxes on a cluster as per:
>
> https://wiki.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes/ClusterSetup
>
> I was having very little luck with it, so I had been trying to break down into pieces and get individual components working.  So I have things setup on a single server, with a working dovecot instance.  I have no director or any thing else running yet, and I am just trying to get the imapc portion of things working.  Eventually I came across a post from Sven Hartge:
>
> https://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2012-November/087046.html
>
> This is from several years ago, but I set up a separate dovecot instance on port 9993 specifically to run the shared folders as he describes, and copied his configuration suggestions pretty much verbatim.  The only signficant difference is that I needed to not configure the imapc_user as he had done, and instead as the wiki suggests remove that config option entirely.  With this, the imapc connection is being made from the primary instance on port 993 to the shared instance on port 9993.

yes you do need to define imapc_user if you want to switch user and master user around for imapc. like:

imapc_user = authapps
imapc_master_user = %u

without imapc_user dovecot would login to the secondary server like A bob.test*bob.test password

> SHARED SERVER ON PORT 9993
>
> passdb {
>  args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext
>  driver = ldap
>  master = yes
> }
> passdb {
>  args = user=authapps password=XXXXXXXXXX
>  driver = static
> }

This is probably correct except that now user authapps can also login directly with password XXXXXXXXXX without master user login.
Which is probably OK as long as the password is kept secret

Sami