Filesystem level backups?

Marc Stürmer mail at marc-stuermer.de
Mon Apr 9 15:34:30 EEST 2018

Am 2018-04-09 00:55, schrieb Steve Atkins:

> Will a simple backup of all the files of an multi-dbox give me a
> consistent state when I recover, or do I need to do something (e.g.
> lock writes to the mailbox) while I run a backup?

If you are doing this backup with a fully operational mail storage: no,
it won't. The reason is quite simple: mdbox saves the data of an email
in several files, so there's a good chance that those files might
slightly change during backup, while with Maildir all necessary data for
the restore is stored in the file names.

If you want to do a consistent backup, you do need file system snapshots
and should make sure that this snapshot is consistent or to turn off the
mail store during backup completely.

But just doing rsync on the fly as with Maildir is just begging on your
side to run into problems sooner or later...

--
Greetings,

Marc